The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Sunday, September 10, 2006

PRO FOOTBALL: San Diego vs. Oakland

Today's one to watch is the rare backend of a Monday Night Football double-header. The Chargers and Raiders should display some decent offense, mostly because I don't think either team will play much defense. Let's see how San Diego QB Philip Rivers does in his 1st pro start and how Raider Coach Art Shell looks returning to the NFL a decade after his last coaching gig.

My pick: San Diego. I just hope LT saves the big points for next week when they might matter since I'm down by 37 to Francase in our fantasy league.

************************************************

Doing something different to remember 9/11/01 -- 5 years ago today. For me it seems even longer, only because my life has since gone through so many changes. But in other ways, the memories are fresh. I was in my 'Research, Writing and Analysis' class a mere month after entering law school at Georgia State. I hated that class and my initial reaction was one of glee when a custodian walked into the room mid-class and informed the professor classes had been cancelled for the morning. Naturally, my feelings soon changed. I walked over to the Irish Pub in Underground Atlanta and chased a shot of Jamison with a pint of Guinness while I watched the news.

5 years later I live in Charlotte County, Florida. It's 1200 miles from New York and a totally different world too. Yet even here I'm reminded how 9/11 touched all Americans. 3 of the highjackers actually spent their final months in this area learning how to fly planes. They lived in nearby Venice, the town where my wife works and one that hasn't seen a murder in 6 years. Ziad Jarrah, Marwan al-Shehhi, and Mohammed Atta each earned their wings at the Venice Municipal Airport and would then pilot 3 of the 4 doomed planes on 9/11. But in the summer of 2000, they came to Venice and blended right into our community. They lived in local rentals, attended flight school, and even drank in local bars. After class they went for beers almost every night at The Outlook Bar. According to bartender Lizsa Lehman, Atta was gruff and aloof and frequently expressed disapproval of the presence of women servers behind the bar. But al-Shehhi was apparently friendly and jovial and always eager to interact with bartenders and patrons.

Amazing. So with a vigilant eye towards the future and one of sorrow towards the past, let's reflect on the horrors the fallen of 9/11 went through, especially the heroes who died ascending those burning stairs. Let's also remember that for all our efforts in the Middle East, Osama Bin Laden remains free. Whether it be by this administration, the next, or even one 20 years from now, I pray that f*ucker gets justice G. Gordon Liddy style. And whether we're on the Right or the Left or somewhere in between, we can all agree on this, GOD BLESS THE USA!

4 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Your bloviating TennisTitan said...

BD... I hope you come to your senses and continue to vote for the more conservative candidate or the one who would not support a left leaning Democrat majority in either House. To do not fall to the trap that killing UBL will end this war. This war was a millenium in the making and far too few politicians are willing to face that fact. I do not believe there is an elected Democrat who could pass a Regis Course on American History. Seems they all missed the 1930's. If Steve Laffey beats Lincoln Chaffee in tomorrow's RI primary, Joey Briscoe has a chance at a better world to grow up in.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

Thanks, Dad. And I do plan for voting for conservative candidates whenever possible. Charlie Crist certainly meets my criteria and would make a great FL Gov. Katherine Harris, who is inept if not corrupt, does not.

I commend you for supporting Laffey, though. That's one of my biggest problems with Bush and his GOP. They support guys like Specter and Chaffee just to keep power which they then abuse. I'd rather see Laffey run for that seat. He'll lose in the general in a place like RI. But it may help cleanse a party that has forgotten its roots.

As to the Regis comment, even some of my readers who may be closer to you in ideology would probably disagree. The Jesuits always make sure you get a healthy dose of liberalism. I'm sure a more benevelont view than yours towards "Middle Eastern Studies" is still the norm in Jesuit high schools and universities.

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tennis Titan:

As a fellow Regian, I will have to agree with your son, re: the liberalism of Regis HS. Then again, I don't think Mr. James Connelly would fit that mold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home