The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

BASKETBALL: USA vs. Germany

I haven't yet followed FIBA's Basketball World Championships beyond the nightly highlights on SportsCenter. Don't get me wrong. I like what I see so far. The USA is undefeated and has basically cruised into the quarterfinals. I like Coach K leading the team. I like the youth of the squad and how it was built around decent guys like Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, and LeBron James. And I also like the positive attitude of players about representing America in international competition.

You see, although I oppose the War in Iraq - and contrary to what some of my friends think of me - I actually love this country too. And I like to see us look good on the international stage. So I'm grateful for all of this good stuff from USA Basketball being in stark contrast to the disappointing performance (on and off the court) of our team in the 2004 Olympics.

Today's game is on at 6:30 in the morning. By the time you are reading this, it will likely be over. But I'm still making it TOTW because I'm ready to start rooting for this team to win Gold. I'm ready for these guys to re-establish America as the home of the world's best basketball. So I'm counting on the US squad winning this game and not putting egg all over my face. That's been done enough lately!

Germany should be competitive as they are led by Dallas Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki. But they are not an elite team like the USA, Spain, or Argentina. Our boys should win this game and I think Coack K will push them to use their athletism to their advantage over the perimeter game of the sharp-shooting Germans.

My pick: USA. All the way.

In honor of basketball, here's ageless supermodel Naomi Campbell showing her million dollar ass-ets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home