The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

BASEBALL: Atlanta Braves at NY Mets

It's been almost 2 weeks since baseball earned a TOTW. With the arrival of college and pro football, US Open tennis, and NASCAR's Chase for the Championship, there's a lot better on my sporting mind than late season baseball. But even if Atlanta sits 18 1/2 games behind the New York for 1st place in the NL East, I still enjoy seeing the Braves and Mets continue their long-standing rivalry. So I'm making tonight's game at Shea Stadium the one to watch.

The Mets have had an amazing year. You have to give GM Omar Minaya credit for assembling this veteran team mixed with some great young talent. The Mets will win 100 games and cruise to the playoffs. However, by the standards of a dominating team, there are some chinks in the armor. The starting pitching is brittle and thin. In 2006 both Pedro Martinez and Tom Glavine have been great, when they have been healthy. Around the diamond, the lineup is dangerous. But despite the talent, the offense seems to live and die on the bats of sluggers Carlos Beltran and Carlos Delgado. And each is known to be streaky - super hot when hot, and equally cold when cold. In fact, I think the true strength of the Mets is their bullpen. Led by closer Billy Wagner, this is where the Mets have an edge over most playoff teams.

On the other hand, the Braves have had a miserable year. Ever the optimist, I still haven't given up on them only because the NL is so weak. I think 85 wins is all it will take to capture the wildcard. That means the Braves would have to win 19 of their last 25 games. Not impossible, but not likely. Yet if they are to have a chance at doing the improbable, the Braves need quick improvement from their pitching. The arrival of closer Bob Wickman has helped settle the bullpen. If only they had landed him in the offseason as Francase and I bemoaned back in March - $5 million is all it would have taken. John Smoltz pitches tonight and looks to pick up his 13th win. He should be nearing 20 by now, but for the dang bullpen. One of the few pleasant happenings in 2006 has been the emergence of the hometown left-hander Chuck James who 1 hit the Mets last night.

My pick: Atlanta. The Braves desperately need the win and so does my fantasy team. I know my friend at the Cranky Conservative will again have mixed emotions and be rooting for a well-pitched 1-1 game that the Mets win in extra innings. However, with journeyman Dave Williams on the mound for the Mets, I wouldn't count on it.

I love baseball, but they just don't have cheerleaders...yet!

2 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, you pegged my feelings just right. And while I would certainly never root against the Mets, especially when they were playing the Braves, they are up by 16 games in the loss column, but my fantasy team is only ahead by two points. So let's just say I wouldn't be crushed if Smoltz won tonight's game.

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cheerlaeaders look so amazing in those outfits Thanx you guys r the best!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home