The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

NFL FOOTBALL: Miami Dolphins Training Camp

I've been waiting 2 months to use that word here - football. While I do prefer the college game to the action on Sundays, I treasure them both. And it's during this slow time of summer when I especially pine for the gridiron. So I'm using a small story in the Florida news as an excuse to make NFL football today's one to watch.

After several down years, the Dolphins are expected to be good in 2006. They should have another solid defense led by veterans Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas, but now they also have real weapons on offense like new QB Daunte Culpepper, 2nd year RB Ronnie Brown, and all-pro WR Chris Chambers. But it is this story why I'm so interested in the Dolphins today.

DAVIE, Fla. - When the White House extended an invitation to dine with President Bush, Dan Marino accepted but Dolphins coach Nick Saban said no. Saban said his obligations at training camp took priority over the chance to spend an evening with the president. Politics weren't a factor, he said.

"It was really a tough decision," Saban said Monday. "I feel like my first responsibility is our team. That in no way disrespects the importance of the opportunity I would have loved to have had to spend dinner with the president."

The dinner took place at Joe's Stone Crabs, a landmark Miami Beach restaurant. Among those joining Bush were ex-Dolphins Marino, Nick Buoniconti, and Jim Mandich. Their wives were also present. Other guests included actor Andy Garcia and Univision host Don Francisco.

How did Saban's wife react to his decision to decline?

"I'd rather this not become a public issue, because I don't think I even told her, to be honest with you," he said. "Now that you mention it, maybe I should wear a helmet home tonight."


Agreed. And don't expect any sex for awhile, ok Coach? Or does this guy go without that too so as to really focus on the importance of training camp? As some of my readers know, I'm no fan of George Bush. In fact, I feel incredibly guilty about voting for him in 2004 (I voted for Pat Buchanan in 2000 and should have known better). But even I would not turn down the offer to dine with President Bush. He is still the president. That should be an HONOR you don't turn down, but for the most worthy of excuses - such as illness, death, or a conflicting date with Anna Kournikova.

However, I suppose Coach Saban is just too busy with training camp to leave it for all of 2 hours in the evening to grab some dinner with the leader of the free world. I mean, does he stay late to do the laundry himself? You can't let just anybody hired off-the-street do it and put too much detergent in the water, afterall. So if this really isn't a political statement, the Fish better be damn good this year. And I mean 14-2 kind-of good. Saban is certainly is in the mold of his mentors Bill Belichek and Bill Parcells and might even have them beat in terms of size of ego.

Let's put our photo-tribute on hold for a day to see the best thing going for President Bush thse days, first daughter Jenna Bush. Sometimes you just got to put politics aside and admire those genes. Chelsea, eat your heart out!!!

1 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

No thanks. If you're a dude I do have a suggestion for making that extra money. Why don't you go to San Francisco. When you get there, look for used hypodermic needles and use them to shoot up some heroin. Then find the nearest Gay Men's Health Clinic. Once there offer to sell your butthole to anyone who wants it for, I dunno whatever the going rate there is, perhaps $50 a shot. That way you'll get your extra money and you won't be coming back to my blog for long. Oh yeah. While you're in San Fran, say hi to Michael Savage for me. But I like the guy so please remain 300 feet back at all times. OK?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home