The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Monday, July 31, 2006

BASEBALL: 2006 Trading Deadline

There are a few games to be played on this last day of July. However, the most significant "one to watch" is the passing of baseball's trading deadline at 4:00pm. Sure, GM's can still land a decent middle reliever or utility guy in an August waivers-style trade. But today is the last opportunity for this year's playoff contenders to make their move by acquiring real talent.

Texas got things started last week by landing slugger Carlos Lee of the Brewers. The Yankees, naturally, have been busy players in the market by scoring OF Bobby Abreu and SP Cory Lidle from the Phillies yesterday. Other stars rumored to be available for the right price include: 2B/OF Alfonso Soriano, SP Jason Schmidt , SP Barry Zito , SS Julio Lugo , RP Tom Gordon , SP Greg Maddux , and OF Shawn Green .

My pick: Alfonso Soriano goes to an AL Central contender. He'd be a great fit in the "Homerdome" for Minnesota, but Detroit and Chicago probably have more to offer Washinton in return. Also the Yankees and Mets will both make more key moves because they play in the fishbowl that is New York and must. And my Braves are done....dealing, that is!

Our athlete of the day is softball hurler Jenny Finch. Since she got good feedback last time (and she's got good other "stuff" as well), I figured we'd give her a 2nd day.



N.B. Are you my 1,000th visitor? The early bird is going to get it. Check the site meter below and let me know!

4 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger APOSEC72 said...

Looks like it was me.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

Indeed it does. Congrats and that you to Bank of America for that great internet service that shows up as Concord, California!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger TSL said...

Uh, guys, learn how to read a site meter, please...it was clearly Paul (appanet.org) that was visitor #1000. It's even labeled as such if you look at the details for that hit.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger APOSEC72 said...

Oh....I saw 1,000 on the bottom and figured that meant I was it - so I guess it should have read 999 if I was 1,000.

Guess I should learn how to read the thing. Oops.

Besides, bothering with details? Humph.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home