The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Monday, August 21, 2006

FANTASY FOOTBALL (AND THE YANKEES KICKING THAT ASS TOO)

Complete domination. Whether by way of total ass kickings or dramatic 9th inning comebacks, the Yanks appear to have buried the Red Sox. I'm really starting to like this gutsy Yankees team and see them now as World Series favorites. So much for 2006 being the year of the Mets; they're back to being 2nd fiddle even in New York! And don't say 2 Braves fans didn't warn about the risks of putting so much hope in a couple of 35 and 40 year old arms with a lot of miles! ;)

Anyway, enough baseball. Today I'm doing something a little different and putting TOTW spotlight on my recently drafted 2006 Fantasy Football team, the Ali Gators.

QB: Donovan McNabb, PHI
RB: LaDanian Tomlinson, SD & Willis McGahee, BUF
WR: Torry Holt, StL & Javon Walker, DEN
TE: Randy McMichael, MIA
D: Miami Dolphins
K: Jeff Reed, PIT

BENCH: Brett Favre, GB; Aaron Brooks, OAK; Warrick Dunn, ATL; Fred Taylor, JAX; Joey Galloway, TB; Reggie Brown, PHI; Jeremy Stevens, SEA; Atlanta Falcons.

I'm reasonably pleased with the squad. My sole disappointment is I didn't get to draft more Florida based pro or college players. Indeed my sole Gator is aging Fred Taylor. However, landing LT does take some of the sting of missing out on Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams. Plus I did get FSU alum Warrick Dunn, one of the nicest guys in the NFL and a Florida/Henry County Fords veteran.

I think I'm stacked at RB and WR. The price I paid for this is being weak at QB. My entire season depends on McNabb staying healthy and bouncing back from a turbulent 2005 season. At the TE, D, and K positions I admit I am mediocre at best. But I have learned from experience that these postions don't make or break a fantasy football team. In the end they usually prove to be a wash. So I'll take my chances on McNabb and Tomlinson picking up about 25 TDs each and deal with it from there.

Go Bucs!



Go Dolphins!

3 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the risks of putting so much hope in a couple of 35 and 40 year old arms with a lot of miles!

Exactly, and with a 43-year old (Randy Johnson) and a 37-year old (Mussina) at the top of the rotation, the Yanks should be sweating buckets.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked at your team, and I think you and Harold's Latino team are the favorites. Tomlinson is solid. McNabb should bounce back from a turbulent year, and your WR's are dangerous. My RB's can't compare, and my WR's are about even to yours.

You had a good draft, believe it.

Norman

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

Thanks, Norm. In our keeper league I hated that I didn't have any dominant RBs. I made out ok thanks to Peyton but I was always jealous of the teams that had 25 TD studs at RB. Hopefully LT will be that for me and maybe even McGahee too. We'll see. Our NFC division should be brutal - but fun. Keep checking out the blog if you can. I'll try to mix in some fantasy football stuff too.

CC, touchee. But I more meant the comment with regards to contract. This is Moose's last year at that salary. And the Yanks only gave RJ a 3 yr deal - granted for a lot of money - but at least they're off the hook in 2007. The Braves and Red Sox both would have kept Glavine and Pedro if those pitchers wanted 3 yr deals. The Mets landed them because they offered 4 yr deals. That was the risk I had in mind. But I certainly wish Glavine well. As for Pedro....maybe not! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home