The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Friday, August 11, 2006

BASEBALL: Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox

A little later than usual today. I guess I got caught up in the cable news last night with all the terrorism stuff on tv. Next thing I knew, I was out like a light and so were the kids! Anyway, today's one to watch is a matchup of AL Central powers with the Tigers visiting the White Sox.

This is the Tigers' first selection as a TOTW. I'm still a doubting Thomas on this team. Manager Jim Leyland and GM Dave Dombrowski have done an incredible job turning around this franchise that lost 119 games as recently as 2003. Free agents OF Magglio Ordonez and C Pudge Rodriguez lead a decent offense. But it is the Tigers pitching that is most responsible for their breakout season. Nobody has been better (perhaps in all of baseball) than tonight's rookie hurler Justin Verlander who sports an impressive 14-4 record with a 2.79 ERA.

What more can I say about the White Sox? I've now selected them 3 times this week. And I still say that it's a mistake to count out these playoff tested World Champs before someone actually dethrones them in October. Ace Jose Contreras with his 10-4 record and 3.75 ERA pitches tonight. The White Sox need a sweep in this series if they are to have any chance of catching the Tigers for the division.

My pick: Chicago. I don't know if the White Sox have enough time to catch Detroit. But they will make it close.

Today's athletes are the infamous "Spice Girls" of tennis, Anna Kournikova and Martina Hingis. Their reign as doubles champs was brief but impressive nonetheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home