The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Thursday, August 17, 2006

BASEBALL: New York Yankees at Boston Red Sox

What a weekend for baseball! One of the best rivalries in sports gives its fans a rare 5 game series. But these games will go beyond the usual rabid Northeastern audience with 3 airing on ESPN and another on FOX. So I'm making Friday's day/night doubleheader between the Yanks and Sawk today's two to watch.

None of these games figures to be a low-scoring gem. New York and Boston are both pitching poor and look to win with their powerful lineups. But the day game appears to be the better pitching matchup at first glance. NY's old Randy Johnson faces the younger Josh Beckett for Boston. Both pitchers have racked up some wins with their new teams. However, they've also got ERA's over 5.00. I guess there really is something to it that a good team usually hits better when a good pitcher is on the mound. On paper, both Johnson and Beckett have produced numbers resembling the stats found in a Royals or Pirates boxscore. Yet even if they surrender a lot of runs, both are still capable of getting the big out when they need it.

The night game features Ching Minh Wang against Jason Johnson. The Taiwanese Wang has been a pleasant surprise this year at 13-5 and a 3.84 ERA. Meanwhile, Boston acquired Johnson and he has put up 3-11 record with a pathetic 6.26 ERA. This is really a poor reflection on Boston GM Theo Epstein that a scrub like Johnson would be pitching in a critical August game with their playoff hopes at stake. Definite edge to the Yankees.

My pick: New York. I think the Yanks steal momentum early by taking both games today. I still like Boston to win a couple of the weekend. They're not ready to surrender yet, but the pitching matchups today favor NY big time.

It may be a great weekend for baseball, but I'm still pining for football. Go Gators go!



N.B. - Starting today I'm taking TSL's advice and adding a word verification to the comments section. I hate these as my eyes are starting to slip and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries for me to get it correct. But the spam from the Anonymous bots is getting too bothersome in my inbox. I don't stir up a lot of discussion here anyway, so I'm sure we'll all survive just fine. F-you spammers!

6 Comments:

At 1:14 AM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

No thanks, spammer. Your bot just beat my word verification by mere minutes. As for your "full frontal nudes" that sounds queer so take your gay shit somewhere else. If it's not gay and its actually good shit, then offer it to us for free! See ya l8r!

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, that's like the second wierd coincidence in a five minute span. I was just thinking, "boy, maybe Jeff should add a comment verification thingy." Spoooooooky. Though I will miss you debating comment spammers. That is like a cool little sub-feature for the blog.

BTW, I had noooo idea the Sox and Yankees were playing this weekend. I hadn't heard a thing about this all week. Except replace "hadn't heard a thing" with "have heard nothing but talk." As a Yankee hater, I'll just have to say "Go Sawx."

Great, now I've jinxed them.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

Freaky Friday, indeed. Maybe the Yanks will sweep today's double header and A-Rod could end up being the hero or something? That would officially make it a weird day!

Yes, it is with great reluctance that I add the verification. I actually enjoy the spam in the comments. Its only the cc's to my email that bug the crap out of me. I could turn off the cc feature, but I dunno. I guess I'll see how much I miss them and their "full frontal nude" offers.

Though my favorite fun spam is still the: "Dear Mr Briscoe, Your name was given to me as someone who could help me complete a 15 million dollar wire transfer from Kenya to New York. The former president of my country would do it himself but has decided he doesn't want publicity so that he may give away his fortune to charity anonymously. So if you send me all your financial informantion to me here in Nairobi, I promise to send you your $3 million share after the deal is done. Thank you."

Sure, that's always a good one!

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the tackiest move ever, I am going to respond to myself.

Great, now I've jinxed them.

Currently the Yanks are up 8-3, and A-Rod does have an RBI double and a run scored. Oh well.

It's funny that you mention the e-mails. Every now and then I get like 8-10 spam hits on my now defunct blogger version of CC. Evidently I have a great design, or so all 8 usually tell me.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

Might have jinxed indeed. The Yanks are cruising in game 1. A-Rod still has the potential to make up for his success in game 2 however! ;)

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Kamal Badra said...

Outstanding Information
Download
1. MP Police Constable Admit Card 2017
2. MP Police Constable Syllabus 2017
3. Haryana Police Constable Previous Papers 2017

 

Post a Comment

<< Home