The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Monday, August 14, 2006

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: FSU at Miami from 2000

Doing something different for today's one to watch. Firstly, this is late because once again I had unforeseen competition for the computer. Secondly, today's TOTW looks back, and not ahead, because I'm not very excited about anything going on tonight.

This morning I watched a "College Football Classic" to get ready for the forthcoming season on the Sun Sports here in Florida. They showed the Miami Hurricanes defeating the Florida State Seminoles 27-24 in an all-time classic matchup from 2000. Heisman winner QB Chris Weinke threw for over 450 yards from Florida State, but it was TE Jeremy Shockey's first career Miami TD that sealed the win. The game also came down to a last second FG which FSU PK Matt Munyon naturally missed.

What was most impressive from looking back at this game is the amount of players from both squads who ended up playing on Sundays. And many of them have become stars. I know I'm forgetting several, but off the top of my head I saw QBs Ken Dorsey and Chris Weinke, RBs Travis Minor, Clinton Portis, and Najeh Davenport, TE Jeremy Shockey, WRs Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, Anquan Boldin, and Javon Walker, as well as CB Philip Buchanan, S Ed Reed, and LB Dan Morgan. Wow, you could form a winning fantasy football team from those selections alone. Florida pride, baby!

My pick: Miami. Duh, they did already win the game. And it began an impressive 3 year run from 2000-2002 that saw the "U" winning the 2001 National Championship. I expect for both programs to field top 10 teams this year and meet in the ACC Championship Game for a shot at the BCS. This rivalry is amongst the best in all of sports, no less in college football. As a Gator fan, I'm jealous that Florida has chosen not to be involved. But they do have their fair share of rivalries. Anyway, now I'm definitely looking forward to the 2006 college football season!

2 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger APOSEC72 said...

Fond memories from the 2003 Sugar Bowl with chants ending AND TO HELL WITH FLORIDA STATE!

Thankfully, they lost to UGA.

Of course, Georgia isn't happening anymore - and I don't think Georgia State's football team would take on Florida State.

Basketball, on the other hand....

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

GSU isn't what it used to be in basketball. I went to one of Lefty's last games actually. He walked out during the 2002-03 season. Weird. I think he just got really old. Anyway one of his assistants replaced him and hasn't recruited as well. But we'll see.

Panther Pride!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home