The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

SOCCER: Italy vs. France

The final game of the 2006 World Cup is today's one to watch. Despite the United States sub-par showing, the World Cup has been a great success for this sports fan. I might turn my back on soccer for the next 3 1/2 years, but I sure do enjoy it when the World Cup rolls around. On the field, we've consistently seen the best players for the best teams rising to the occasion when needed most. Off the field, Germany has provided a great backdrop for the dedicated soccer fans who attend World Cup games. Its central location to the European nations who ended up dominating this tournament has helped and, thankfully, there've been no major incidents of "hooliganism" to detract from the competition.

Italy vs. France should be an entertaining championship game. So far, the Azzuri haven't even allowed a real goal in the entire tournament - the only tally against them has been an own-goal off a corner kick credited to the US during pool play. Goalie Gianluigi Buffon has been sharp and the Italian squad seems content to play tight defense and then explode when it wears down the opposing team. France, on the other hand, has seen an up-and-down World Cup. They barely made it to the 2nd round and have only gradually picked up steam since. The French did shock defending champion Brazil and seem to be the only nation that can do so, having also eliminated the Brazilians in their title run in 1998. France is led by veteran stars Zinadine Zidane and Thiery Henry and will look to score early against the tough Italian defense.

I hope the game doesn't come down to peanlty kicks merely so we don't hear from the soccer haters on talk radio and ESPN. However, if it does, I know those 5 minutes will be so exciting that I'll be fine with that kind of an ending too. Gary Bettman and hockey fans, are you listening? I'm just throwing it out there. But I do realize that Italians fans won't want to watch such an event. They well remember the Azzuri and star Roberto Baggio losing on kicks in the Rose Bowl back in 1994.

My pick: Italy. I have a hard time rooting for the French anyway. But I'd also love to see the US as the only team to get a point from Italy in this World Cup. I think a tight 1-0 score is very likely.



So that's what I'll be watching. What will you be watching? Soccer? Or those fine Italian fans?

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger APOSEC72 said...

What were you saying about penalty kicks?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home