The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Monday, July 03, 2006

GOLF: U.S. Women's Open

In case you didn't get enough women's golf yesterday, I'm making the 18 hole playoff between Annika Sorenstam and Pat Hurst today's one to watch. Recoemmending the same event for a 2nd consecutive day is a TOTW first. I feel some vindication in that this story led the late edition of SportsCenter last night. I do realize, however, that some of my readers may not hold that network's opinions in the highest of regards.

Such a one-on-one playoff would be a great moment in golf history if it had happened in the Men's Open between Tiger Woods and someone like a Fred Couples. While Sorenstam and Hurst won't have such a spotlight, they both really want the win. Annika hasn't won the Open in 10 years - imagine someone as dominant as Tiger Woods going 10 years without a Masters? On the other hand, a Pat Hurst victory would make her the first golfer to win a Girl's Junior U.S. Open, a Women's Amateur U.S. Open, and a Women's Professional U.S. Open. However, for me it boils down to a single issue: with Michelle Wie, Natalie Gulbis, and Paula Creamer out of the competition, Annika is holding the torch for decent looking women everywhere.

My pick: Annika Sorenstam. The girl is usually money in the bank. Annika has 67 career wins, including 9 majors. And she's 14-5 in playoffs, including a 2-0 mark against Pat Hurst. Even after missing a 30 foot birdie putt for the outright win on 18, Annika was confident saying, "I'm right where I want to be." I agree. And I don't think it'll be close.



So that's what I'll be watching. Who will you be watching? Annika? Or Pat Hurst? (I would show a picture of Pat for comparison, but don't want to ruin my reputation around here)

3 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger TSL said...

I'm no big fan of Annika's alleged "sex appeal" (just not my type, I guess), but that Hurst is downright hideous. Yikes. So yeah, it's a no-brainer.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

Things worked out ok. Annika wins easily, as predicted right here. And the sports world is saved from Pat Hurst hoisting the trophy and revelaing just how hairy those underarms are!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger APOSEC72 said...

Right on with the prediction - you can't do that, i'm the only one who can do that this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home