The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

SOCCER: England vs. Portugal

Pleased that baseball did not disappoint my expectations, I now turn my attention back to the World Cup. England vs. Portugal is today's one to watch. Brazil-France is an equally compelling matchup. However, I think Brazil is perceived to be more of a favorite to win in their game when compared with either of the teams from the earlier match. As with almost all of the quarterfinal games so far, England-Potugal is likely to provide great drama and it could end in another shootout.

I won't try to handicap the match since I don't know very much about either team. I do know that England has rowdy fans who have largely been disappointed by their team's failure to win a World Cup in 40 years. On the other hand, I've heard Portugal described as being always good, but never great, in World Cup competition. Could this be their year to breakthrough now that rival Spain has bowed out?

My pick: England. England hasn't scored much so far. They try to strike early and then play a defensive game. And that strategy appears to work even better as the tournament progresses and more is at stake. Teams take fewer chances as nobody wants to make the critical mistake.



So that's what I'll be watching. Who will you be watching? English star David Beckham on the field? Or wife Posh Spice in the stands?

1 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger Your bloviating TennisTitan said...

The REAL one to watch: Agassi v Nadal... the past versus the future... they'll even be points scored. You'll think there is offense and defense in this contest unlike your pick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home