The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

That's So Fucking Cool!!!

As I mentioned yesterday, I was interested in the 2006 NBA Draft for many reasons. One reason that I didn't anticipate until actually watching the draft was realizing that I would be seeing one of my former students get drafted into the NBA! He barely made it. But with the 58th pick, the Dallas Mavericks drafted McDonough, GA's own Danilo (J.R.) Pinnock out of George Washington University.





I taught at Eagle's Landing High School in McDonough, GA for seven months in the 2000-2001 academic year. One of the classes for which I was a last-minute replacement was Computer Applications. It was pretty easy for the students and for me too. We mostly worked on Power Point presentations. I gave everybody the opportunity to make such a presentation for their own fake business. It was a bullshit class, but you need some of those in high school.

I don't remember what J.R.'s particular topic was, but I'll never forget him to be the tall, mild-mannered, slightly afroed, high school stud from my 4th period Computer App class whom I always asked to playfully remove the pick from his hair (I'll also never forget, nor regret, bumping his grade up from a 78 to an 80 before submitting it to the AP either). I believe he played on the football team as well, but it was his dominance on the court for which J.R. really stood out.

J.R. Pinnock starred for a bad Eagle's Landing basketball team in that his junior year. He could shoot, pass, dribble, dunk....he did it all. As I left the school to enter law school, he also transferred that summer to Coastal Christian Academy in Virginia Beach. It's one of those prep school basketball powerhouses where talented kids go to attract the attention of prominent college coaches. I remember talking with J.R. and him telling me his goal was to go to Syracuse and play for Jim Boeheim. He had recently even made a visit to the Carrier Dome with his family.

That didn't work out, but J.R. did go on to play for George Washington University. He had a solid 3 year college career, including averaging 14.5 points during the Colonials' surprising 26 win 2005-2006 season. Pinnock scorred 11 points in GW's win over UNC-Wilmington in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament, but only netted 8 on 4-15 shooting in their loss to Duke.

I thought it was pretty cool that one of my former students was having a nice college basketball career. I didn't know he was turning pro. And I certainly had no idea that he would be drafted by Mark Cuban!

I know it's a longshot for someone drafted 58th to contribute to an NBA team. But it does happen. And I sure hope it happens for J.R. Pinnock. Back then he was a good guy who deserved a chance. I'm sure the same is still true today.

I remember shooting around with him a few times in the gym while I was trying to be one of those cool teachers who mixes with the kids (actually, at 24 years old & 6'4, 210 lbs, back then I was also a pretty decent basketball player). J.R. was amazing. I've played with some decent Atlantic 10 players in games in the old gym while I attended Fordham University. I've also played with some even better players on courts in urban East Point, Jonesboro, and College Park while I lived in Georgia. And none of these ballers compared to J.R. Pinnock. - not even "Hotsauce" the little guy from And 1 whom I also played with a few times!

And that's something we often forget when we watch pro athletes. J.R. Pinnock might never be an NBA All-Star. But he could still run circles around me and 99.9% of decent pick-up baseketball players, no less 100% of your average fans.

Congratulations to Danilo "J.R." Pinnock. I am so happy for you. But I am even happier for me that now I have another "brush with greatness" story to tell for the rest of my life! :)

Danilo "J.R." Pinnock's player card from CBS Sportsline

ESPN's 2nd Round 2006 NBA Draft List

1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Your bloviating TennisTitan said...

Nice annecdote Big Daddy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home