The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Wisconsin at Michigan

Unfortunately the 4th week of the college football season doesn't look very exciting. But it's a Saturday in September so I can't resist looking here for the one to watch anyway. And while it's impossible to compete with the excitement of last weekend's "Separation Saturday," this one does look unusually uncompetitive. I see plenty of duds like Georgia-Colorado, Florida State-Rice, Auburn-Buffalo, and Oklahoma-Middle Tennessee. So instead let's look at the ones that actually have potential.

The Big 10 provides the best opportunities for decent football with 3 games where the favorites will be looking to avenge losses in these same matchups from 2005. Ohio State-Penn State and Michigan State-Notre Dame both seem like fairly easy wins for the Buckeyes and Irish...on paper, at least! So I'm making the Wisconsin-Michigan game today's TOTW.

Michigan completely dominated Notre Dame last weekend and looks to keep moving up in the polls with a win over the rival Badgers. The Wolverine combination of QB Chad Henne to WR Mario Manningham has been electric. And RB Michael Hart is always steady. But Wisconsin is a stubborn team that knows how to win close games with good defense, conservative play calling, and a power running game. Coach Barry Alvarez may have retired but I predict their formula will still work.

My pick: Michigan. The Wolverines will find a way to win in order to stay alive for the BCS title. But I expect Wisconsin to make it very close.

The #2 babe in our The One To Watch countdown is sexy Indy Car driver Danica Patrick. I'm a big fan of open wheel racing so I realize I'm very biased here. And I think Danica is a winner on and off the track. She caught my attention by nearly winning at Indy in 2005, but it was in that red dress at the 2006 ESPY's where she really impressed me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home