The One To Watch

Where I'll tell you the ONE game, person, match, or moment in the world of sports that you NEED to see today. Check back everyday and find out the TOTW!

Sunday, June 18, 2006

HOCKEY: Edmonton at Carolina

I'm doing this against my better judgment. I'm doing this because I pledge not to mention the words "NHL hockey" here for the next 4 months.

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals is today's One To Watch.

I haven't really followed the NHL playoffs this year. I don't think it was the strike that lost me. There are broader problems that prevent me from getting enthused about hockey. Many of them are similar to why I feel soccer in America isn't cool. But hockey also has 2 bigger issues.

Firstly, most players aren't even from the US. Don't get me wrong: I enjoy the contributions of foreign athletes to our national sports. I love rooting for a Dirk Nowitzki or Ichiro Suzuki. However, when American boys are comprising only 25% of a roster of an American team, I'm going to tire of pronouncing names like Edmonton goalie Jussi Markkanen before too long. Secondly, the older I get, the more I realize that I can't even see the damn puck most of the time. Ice hockey simply moves too quickly for television. I don't think there's a remedy for this either. And that's why hockey will continue to pack local areans with rabid fans, but lag behind eating contests in Nielson ratings.

Back to the game at hand. Edmonton is trying to become only the 2nd team to win a Cup after trailing 3-1 in the finals. That would be impressive by any standard. Since I'm not properly informed to analyze the talent, let's focus on who to root for: the USA or Canada? Need I really say more? The state of North Carolina has never won a major pro championship. It didn't even have a top-level pro team until the 1990s. Meanwhile Edmonton has won many titles with hockey legend Wayne Gretzky. Therefore I say go Hurricanes. Just stay away from Florida later this summer, ok?

My pick: Carolina. Lord Stanley can sample some BBQ and take in a NASCAR race while visiting Carolina.

So that's what I'll be watching today - Will Edmonton complete the comeback and win another Stanley Cup or will the American South again prove to be the home of ice hockey in June?






What will you be wacthing? The NHL? Or do you prefer something a little lighter on ice, such as Olympic Silver Medalist Sasha Cohen?

UPDATE: Carolina wins. And Big Daddy hits 2 daily picks in a row. The curse of TOTW is over before it even began! And the Stanley Cup stays in Dixie....Tampa, Carolina....hmmm, do I see a championship in the city of Atlanta's future???

3 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Your bloviating TennisTitan said...

Dear Big Daddy... How times have changed,,, you wuz raised up wrong is what I think...seems you can! take the Island(er) out of the boy and he becomes a hick... remember these are white guys in short pants....not the tatoo-wearing thugs that you spend your time watching while you think up articles... these athletes will even give your kids an autograph.... further more their helmets are not all-encompassing like those NASCAR idiots you now so enjoy,,,, if you knew so much about sports you'd figure out Christie Yammaguchi's (rather than Sasha Cohen's) picture under the article would have made much more sense,,, see if you can figure out why? Think of me as an annoyed reader.

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

82+25-ego=1 Stanley Cup game(greatest trophy in Sports). I'll be watching...

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Jeff Briscoe said...

You guys love hockey. Great - more power to you. And I am well awate that hockey has rabid fans out there. But so does soccer, poker, lacrosse, bowling, and track and field too. The point is, apart from the rabid fans, America doesn't care much anymore. It's one of those 2nd rate sporting events. I'm guessing NBC took a hit in the ratings and would've done better airing a repeat of Law and Order. Maybe that's why NBC has itself become a 2nd rate network. And don't get me started on OLN.

BUT, all that being said, let it be noted that I gave hockey its day here at TWTO. Like a college admissions board or the awarding of a big government contract, I am committed to diversity.

Sidebar: It is funny how Canadian teams can't win a championship anymore (I believe Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have all recently lost Cup finals, right?) and yet Southern teams are dominating (Carolina, Tampa). Do I see the city of Atlanta with another pro sports championship in its near future? Sadly, not from the Braves!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home